Link to Stuart Park Primary School Web site

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to Top

... We shook our heads and looked around and noticed we were in separate gaol cells along with twenty-five other prisoners who all looked very bloodthirsty! What had happened? We soon realised we were in Fannie Bay Goal when it was still in use, probably in the 1970's.
Aaron and Kelli in gaol cells
 The Fannie Bay Gaol was built in 1883 and opened 20th September 1883. The Gaol was designed by architect J G Knight .

It was also the most expensive building in Darwin ( at the time ). The structures were made from ironclad and cell blocks made of masonry. 
Solitary Confinement

Solitary Confinement

Some of the buildings that were built in W.W.II were made of corrugated iron.

In 1950 two maximum security wings were built ,a watch tower (native section),kitchen moss and a remand section.  

The Gallows was built in 1952 specially for the last two hangings in W.W.II.

  

The Gallows

The Gallows

All the prisoners were released and used by the Army and the R.A.A.F in 1942-1946. The first building was two blocks , (A block and B block) .Each block had six cells plus a Kitchen and a Wash House The Infirmary ( the hospital ) was built in 1887.

There was a separate block for female prisoners which was built in 1928.The Gaol was built near the beach so it was not near the town.

The cell blocks

The cell blocks

forward